Monday, September 14, 2020

The Chosen Wells of Knowledge

Next on the News Stand

In 2020 news is difficult. It's pretty much impossible to find an unbiased source. For that reason it's important to me to find sources that look at current events from the viewpoints of both parties, so I can gather all the information available before forming my own opinions of whats happening in the world.

Fox News
I know that Fox catches a lot of heat from the media in general, but it's what I grew up watching. My family is pretty conservative, so my dad would watch it in the morning while he was getting ready for work, which meant that I watched it every morning while I ate breakfast. Fox and Friends was pretty much my wake up call all the way through high school, and my dad still sends me links to segments he thinks I'll enjoy, so this one gets the top spot.

Real Clear Politics
Real Clear Politics focuses more on polling than most news sites tend to, but it is also home to its fair share of articles. I like this site because, as it's name suggests, it lays out the numbers in a way that's pretty easy to follow. I don't like having to dig through a pile of nonsense and unrelated content to find what I'm looking for, so having a site like this that cuts straight to the numbers is nice for when I'm in a hurry.

My Parents
Another one of my more consistently checked sources of news is my parents, who like to send me articles and videos that they liked or that they think I'll find interesting. Most of the content they share with me comes from Twitter (dad) and Facebook (mom), since I don't use either of those sites and my parents want me to see the stuff they share even though I don't follow them.

The Onion
I know it's a satirical news site, but that's part of what makes it fun right? I like to read the Onion because it's a little lighter than he other sites I look to, and even filtered through a healthy dose of sarcasm the articles posted do inform pretty well on the current mood of things. Also, their headlines are Legendary.

NPR
This is a site I use less frequently, but I do turn to it when I want to get a second opinion of current events from another point of view, as it leans left more consistently than my other sources do. I don't check it as frequently as the others, but I do use it, so it gets the last spot on the news stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment